Friday, February 27, 2009

2009 Chinese New Year in Beijing - Great Wall Of China

Finally the tour of a lifetime i have been looking forward to!!! Climbing the Great Wall of China and seeing it with my own eyes!!! About an hour's drive away from Tiananmen Square lies the Great Wall of China, one of the world's Seven Wonders. Pieced together by an estimated one million men, the Great Wall stretches about 6700km. Climbing the steep and well-worn steps can be pretty tedious and scary, but it's well worth the effort!!! I had a super heavy breakfast to prepare myself for the long walk :>


Once you've scaled to a height of some 300m above sea level, you will be treated to a panoramic view of the surroundings. I never realised that it is so scary when you climb down the long stairs and i did not even dare to look down as it is so scary!!! I found myself developing a fear of stairs while climbing down and the same feeling of fear happened when i was climbing down normal stairs for awhile on the rest of our tour of Beijing. For those who are afraid of heights, it is not advisable to climb the Great Walls . I kept thinking what would happen if i missed a step and fall down while climbing up and down the stairs....it is just so scary!!! I had to hold on tight to the side railings throughout my climb up and down the Walls which was not a very nice sight hehe but it was worth it when i got to the top.



































Lunch:


2 comments:

happyichigo♥ said...

wow...what a wonderful experience climbing the great wall of china..i wish i can go there one day!!

Janice said...

Yup it was really a great experience and i have finally realised my wish of seeing the Great Wall hehe.. next is pyramids of Egypt!!! Hopefully would have a chance to go soon :>