Friday, May 1, 2009

Ministry of Health raised the swine flu pandemic alert level to "orange"

I went to National University Hospital (NUH) twice this week as my uncle has been warded there and the hospital staff have started screening all visitors's temperature, taking down particulars and contact number and which visitor you are visiting. All the hospital staff were wearing masks and gloves and its almost like it is back to the SARS days..even the food stalls helpers in the hospital food court were wearing mask!!


Its good to have preventive measures but it really poses alot of incoveniences for visitors and patients in the hospital. I was lucky to reach NUH before 8pm yesterday as they stopped letting visitors into the hospital at 8pm and alot of visitors were really upset with the staff and quite loud and fierce when voicing their unhappiness. It is quite tiring to travel all the way there to be rejected at the door and also their loves one who are warded could be really looking forward to their visit. I observed that my uncle looks happier when alot of his family members are there. It is really terrible being alone in the hospital and unable to do anything as you are physically too weak. With visitors at least they can talk to you when you don't feel like just sleeping for the whole day. I'm just praying hard that there won't be any cases of people infected with Swine flu in Singapore as i'm afraid that the hospital would then start to ban all visitors and we would not be able to visit my uncle. They have already banned all visitors to places like Emergency, ICU etc in NUH and limiting the number of visitors to 1 per patient. I'm going down to NUH tonight to visit my uncle again as he had an operation just this morning. Hopefully my brother and i would be able to get in.

No comments: